San Francisco Readers

I'm coming to your charming city on January 13th. I'm set to stay for six days. The plane tickets have already been booked. No more cancelling or postponing at the last minute. This is happening.

(Trips to other cities remain to be planned, namely Atlanta and Charlotteville - provided you're still there, Jessica)
Takeshi Kitano Dolls

Currently watching Takeshi Kitano's Dolls, probably his most ambitious movie. The jacket compares it to Hero, which is rather silly. Kitano is probably closer to Wong Kar-wai (Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, 2046, In the Mood for Love) and Akira Kurosawa (I'm thinking about Ran and Dreams). Kitano also displays his idiosyncratic use of silence in the most effective way since A Summer At the Sea.

More on this later.

Comments

Jessica Smith said…
I probably won't be there, but it's fairly easy for me to be in Atlanta, and I'll def. be there for the AWP.

Charlottesville is not very interesting.
bjanepr said…
hey so are you doing any readings while you are out here? let me know - pls backchannel!
François Luong said…
Barbara: Hum, no, not doing any reading in the Bay Area, unless Johnny Sakkis has put together something without telling me. But I will definitively send you more news.

Popular Posts