So I have a new job at a major company. I will not talk about it, even though it does involve some of my favorite activities, that is to say translation and editing. The company being this successful right now gives me benefits that make me cry. Yet I do not pay as much as I did with my old job (at the corporate chain bookstore). But the benefits at my current company cover way more. Of course, current company (CC) contributes way more to my health benefits than the old one (OC).

If we remain in the capitalistic idea that one company succeeds more than another because it has better people (technological point of view, people as parts of machinery), it does make sense that the former should contribute more to the welfare of its workforce. The metaphor of a machine well-oiled.

Here's the thing: How has my value at the OC increased when I moved to the current company? As of now, my contribution to my HMO represents only 1% of my annual salary at the CC while it was 10% of my wages at the OC (note that my earnings have also tripled by getting the new job).

Now, with the current benefits, I would pay a lot less than what I would pay for a visit at a doctor in France (about twice less). As for the old plan, I would actually have paid much much more (probably 3 times more than in France). Not to mention that the old company (Borders, for those who care) is now making cuts in the various benefits it offers, obviously, to save on the bottom line.

Someone explain to me those disparities in terms of fairness.

(Alex, you are not allowed to use anything from Zizek)

Comments

Popular Posts