Johannes adds some interesting points on the topic of poetic tourism.

I added this:

Well, my remarks re: tourism have more to do with one's practices, really. In terms of translation, I'd see Robert Bly as a tourist, that is to say someone who comes for a visit, see the things he reads from [the] perspective [of the obnoxious American tourist].1

[The tourist-translator goes into the foreign with one of those fancy travel guides from Lonely Planet/Fodor's/Frommers and a phrasebook.]

On the other hand, Pierre Joris would be more like "the bacteria carried by the immigrant [and] rejuvenating the traumadrome," someone for whom the act of translation is fundamental in the way it shapes the way he writes.

1 Isn't "obnoxious American tourist" somewhat redundant? I confuse myself.
3 comments

Popular Posts