Neo-Baroque Church In San Francisco

The Neo-Baroque style has been an interest of mine since Dr. Lois Zamora's class on Magical Realism. So, during my trip to San Francisco, I was a bit surprised to see this church in the style so exquisitely described by Dr. Zamora in her latest book, The Inordinate Eye (yeah, yeah, I know the book is expensive. Art books tend to be expensive. I got Anselm Kiefer's Heaven and Earth for 60 dollars. Ramen cups for me for a while). Well, of course, San Francisco was founded by the Spanish colonial empire.

The church in those pictures is Mission Dolores Basilica, on Valencia and 16th.

San Francisco Trip 2 010San Francisco Trip 2 011San Francisco Trip 2 013San Francisco Trip 2 014San Francisco Trip 2 015San Francisco Trip 2 016San Francisco Trip 2 018San Francisco Trip 2 022

Comments

Mike Young said…
It's hard to find a place in San Francisco that's not beautiful. Even ratty districts like SoMa have all this color and charm.

I know SoMa's like hot right now or whatever. And not ratty. But it still seemed fairly ratty the last time I was there. But in a good way.
François Luong said…
Yeah, similarly, it is difficult not to find a place in Houston that is not completely ugly.

But yeah, now you know why my visit in San Francisco reinforced my desire to move there in June.

Popular Posts