The more I listen to Bloc Party's new album, the more I am reminded of Japanese bands Pierrot and Cali//Gari. Mostly because the guitars sound as if they had been processed through a synth.

***

Now I remember why I stopped ordering books and CDs at the FNAC and in Japan.

Les figurations de l'image, by Anne-Marie Albiach: 14.50 euros.
Shipping fees: 15 euros
Me screaming in horror: Priceless

Sorry, I could resist.

***

New issue of Switchback is up, featuring work by Paul Hoover and Amanda Lynch, among others.

I'm not quite sure what's up with the Darger-esque use of prepubescent girls in contemporary art lately. It just seems too pretty to be some sort of feminist commentary.

ACT-I-VATE member Jen Tong also had a strange tribute to Darger recently, although the tribute was more to be found in the color scheme.

***

The Mothership has departed. I have met George Clinton. He was giving guitar lessons to two 17-year-old fans at a local Borders store, where he was supposed to sign his latest CD. Decent bloke. He then left to go downtown for his show at the International Festival.

***

Try to write a poem in English using only words with roots in Latin or Greek. Pronouns and auxiliary verbs (to be, to have, would, should, ought to, ...) are forbidden. Conjunctive words are tolerated, but only because it would be difficult to have an interesting syntax without them. Actually, nevermind, conjunctive words are also forbidden.

***

After my rant against the use of computer coloring at Marvel and DC, Johannes asked me something about an old comic book I used to read as a child: Les pirates du silence, an adventure of Spirou featuring the first appearance of the Marsupilami.

I also ran into this painting by Rivane Neuenschwander in the latest issue of ARTnews:
Rivane Neuenschwander Ze Carioca no 4 A Volta de Ze Carioca

More to come later.

Comments

Popular Posts