My problem with e-chapbooks? They might look great on the screen, but print like shit. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the e-chapbook (or e-book, for that matter) because they tend to be free and therefore allow a wide range of distribution. But a lot of them will feature intricate art that does not reproduce well on personal printers or laser printers. In the former case, it doesn't have to do with the quality of your printer, but with the designer not thinking about color separation (just have a look at a Marvel or DC comic book to see what I am talking about; that gradient of blue is not a smooth transition but the superimposition of many layers of blue) and just pasting the jpeg file into the cover. Hence that mauve looking like ... something not quite mauve.

Jerrold Shiroma of duration press avoids that problem by going the French route. Just text and a couple of framing lines for the cover. That's it. Nothing fancy, but it works well for every printer. (Okay, some inkjet printers make the text look like crap too)

Now, when I come to think of it, it's also a problem with a lot of POD-based small presses. Just stop pasting your jpg straight from the artwork the author has provided you. And please, the publisher-made painting as cover art is just tacky.

Comments

Amish Trivedi said…
I hope I get a chance to prove you only half right :)

Popular Posts