So I write about my resignation and suddenly, the number of people who read this blog triples. This is mind-boggling.

***

Funny, but I've just realized that my graphic novel library is barely smaller than my poetry library. Lots of American crap (read "superhero comics"), although I am a lot more selective in my choice of European (mostly Enki Bilal, Schuyten, Hergé, Jean Giraud, ...) and Japanese comics (the teaser to To Terra by Takemiya, Ohikkoshi by Hiroaki Samura, ...).

Kabuki MetamorphosisAt any rate, I reread David Mack's graphic novel Kabuki: Metamorphosis yesterday and was somewhat disappointed. It seemed much more experimental the last time I read it. While Mack's typography is interesting at times, he's very conventional and conservative in terms of his use of comic book language. Sure, there are times when the text in ingrained within the image, but at the end of it, it's still a linear succession of panels, talk balloons and caption boxes. Nothing gets weird or difficult. Mack is still telling a story. The mental landscape of Tsukiko, her memories still look fairly together, even though Mack's brushstroke has that oniric quality to it.

Will Eisner's SpiritOn the other hand, I feel like writing something on Will Eisner. I know Will Eisner will not disappoint me.

Comments

Amish Trivedi said…
We'll all say we knew you when...
François Luong said…
... when I was a young wanker?

Popular Posts