Because Jessica apparently tagged me for this

Yup, it's the "5 things Feminism has done for me." As for my definition of it, I will say it's the advocacy for a less oppressed role for women in society.

1. More female poets. I have mentioned it here before, but for some reason, female poets seem more interesting to me. The few poets I read fervently (Spahr, Mirakove, Shanna, Jessica, Sandra Simonds, Joyelle McSweeney, Olena Kalytiak Davis, Josely Vianna Baptista, Kimiko Hahn ...) seem more willing to take risks than male poets. And they're less likely to fawn over Walter Benjamin.
2. Better conversation at the collegiate level. Let's face it, I would probably be the condescending jerk to talk to, if not for feminism.
3. Which leads to a more open society. No more fear of being shunned because woman A was seen talking to man B who happens not to be her husband. (Okay, yes, my answers will be very cliché, I don't think I have ever spent much time thinking about what feminism did for me)
4. Veronica Mars and Buffy the Vampire Slayer
5. Anti-racism. Well, fighting for the decency of one population should lead to fighting for the decency of other subgroups. Right?

Tagging: Johnny, Eric, Amy, Matt, Craig

Comments

Popular Posts