I am completely fascinated with the way the body moves during belly-dancing, the way the upper torso seems to be fixed with certain spatial coordinates while the lower body gyrates. What does this have anything to do with Eddie Vedder? Nothing, except that I wanted to post a picture of Pearl Jam, the way Mr. Aaron Lowinger posted a picture of Neil Young on his blog.

I recently saw a blog meme about the content of your iPod, to see what percentage of your tracklist was not white. I found the idea rather stupid, but I will do it anyway.

1. The Mars Volta - Cicatriz (Live, from Scabdates)
2. Noir Désir - Lost (from Des Visages, Des Figures)
3. Luna Sea - この世界の果てで (from Another Side of Singles II)
4. Queens of the Stone Age - Monster in the Parasol (Live, from Over the Years And Into the Woods ...)
5. Suprême NTM - Ma Benz
6. Mc Solaar - La belle et le bad boy (from Cinquième as)
7. sads - ぼうきゃくの空 (from The Rose God Gave Me)
8. TV On The Radio - Staring at the Sun (from Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes)
9. Rachid Taha - Rock el Casbah (from Tékitoi)
10. Ben Harper - Serve your Sould (from Both Sides of the Gun)

Someone made this meme following Sasha Frère-Jones's allegation that Stephen Merritt was racist because he did not seem to like black and black-derived music. I mean, sure, Merritt's list shows a rather narrow musical education and a narrow taste (which were socially constructed and so on ...), but SFJ's love for R&B could also be constructed as somewhat discriminatory ("Oh, I am a music critic, let me make you part of the pop music canon." Somewhere, I was supposed to have a Parisian accent in this sentence). Well, at least, SFJ also mentions the influence that Mariah Carey had on *ahem*britneyspearschristinaaguileransync*ahem* But isn't this like of R&B akin to the hipster's black envy of the 1960s (as described by Daniel Kane in All Poets Welcome, his book on the Lower East Side poetic scene of the 1950s-60s).

All this kind of ties to John's discussion about this Onion satire. We are all prejudiced anyway. Does my (random) list make me less prejudiced than SFJ or Stephen Merritt? (ansr.: No, it is well known that I do not like Toby Keith, Kid Rock, Godsmack, Britney Spears and Republicans) I think music critics attacking each other through ad hominem is like attacking someone through your blog (which is what SFJ actually did) which is like the Special Olympics.

And I've just realized that KaBLOW! does not have a musician. Let's start the KaBLOW!band. Here is the line-up: John, saxophone; Claire, lead guitar; Jessica, percussions & drums; Ekrem, vocals 1; Clare, vocals 2; Chall, Guitar 2; Tawrin, just look pretty; Aaron, bass guitar; JPF, keyboards; François, trumpet. And let's mix easy listening with black metal with jazz with John Cagean compositions with Japanese traditional music with Gipsy music.

This is what happens when I don't have my cup of coffee in the morning. God makes a kitty die every minute I don't have coffee. God is a cruel bugger.

Comments

John Sakkis said…
oh man...if i have to play sax (i hate when people say "sax") i quit kablowism...

let me play the violen or the bozoukia...pretty please?
François Luong said…
okay, you get to play both the violin and the bozoukia. Tawrin gets to play saxophone. And I am playing bagpipes.
Eric said…
Nobody ever wants me in their band :(
Ekrem Serdar said…
I hate that New Yorker guy. What a fucking poseur. Not as bad as David Denby, but still.
Maybe I just hate the New Yorker.
Can I play the flute, Unicorns style?
I think one our songs should be called
les visages des dead actress.
François Luong said…
eric, sorry, i was trying to make sure everyone was listed and i thought you were the first one to be listed. you can be our vocals 1.

ekrem, of course you can play the flute. and yeah, i think sfj is a douche for making mariah carey more than she is.
John Sakkis said…
a 1 a 2 a 1 2 3 4!

au seuil du soleil noir
soleil clair
le nom change,

l'unite (se) derange
la douleur le deuil

d'ailleurs

die sonne

recommence a faire la
limitation de la lumiere,

les dix zones des astres d'or

avancent

l'imitation de la chaire
solaire
dans l'accident psycho-chimique
de la chair.
François Luong said…
i've read this in high school for my baccalauréat exam, but i can't remember who wrote it. i would venture to say either soupault, breton or éluard ...
John Sakkis said…
robert duncan mayne!
François Luong said…
i feel slightly (completely) embarassed now. i will now go into hiding, being so ashamed of myself. this is when i wish i had the atom's amulet, so as to shrink to subatomic levels.

Popular Posts