The more I think about butoh, the more I think of how it may have influenced Japanese shock-rock band Dir En Grey. Not so much musically, Dir En Grey is far from an avant-garde band and more of a typical metal band (think Slipknot on meth; they will be touring the US this summer as part of Korn's "Family Values Tour" and Jonathan Davis describes them as "crazy Japanese guys doing fucked-up things"; for the record, I don't like Slipknot and Korn), but more how their music videos are created and how the lyrics are written. Lots of blood and guts, lots of disturbing disjunctions in images, lots of odd movements. I think their videos to "Obscure," "mazohyst of decadence," "ZAN" and "MASK" could be considered butoh performances to a heavy metal soundtrack.

I know Kyo, Dir En Grey's frontman, has two books of poetry out that are insanely popular in Japan. I hear it's very similar to his song lyrics, which is probably why I haven't checked them out. I am usually wary of singers/songwriters books of poetry (Jewel, Billy Corgan, Serj Tankian, Mike Doughty, ...) and Kyo's lyrics are not that interesting. Although I might give it a look if someone scans me a couple of pages.

Before I write about butoh, maybe I should write about noh, kabuki and bunraku first. Novelist William T. Vollman had a pretty interesting essay on noh in a recent issue of Tin House.

Comments

John Sakkis said…
the SF Bay Guardian had a great cover piece on Butoh a few years back...opened my eyes...i guess there's a pretty lively Butoh scene in SF...

also, my friend Lauren Kohne (the artist i want for our comics collabo) has done some Butoh...most recently about 6 months ago in a SF performance...

j
John Sakkis said…
let me know when you blog about Takashi Miike...how about his turn in Eli Roth's Hostel!

fact of the matter: i thought Miike's Audition was wack...
Jessica Smith said…
my head is exploding with all this new learnin'
François Luong said…
is there anything that Lauren and Claire don't do?

i am not sure i can blog about miike, since i've only seen (so far) ichi the killer, the happiness of the katakuri and audition. and yes, audition was totally whack! i am not squeamish, but the movie totally made me squirm.
John Sakkis said…
but it only made you squirm at the last 15 minutes of the movie...the rest was dull...but i'll grant you that, it made me super squirm as well...wire saw to the foot...foot long needles to the eye/ kidneys/ liver/ heart...ech...

and the whole time she's like "hee ticki ticki ticki ticki ticki hee ticki ticki ticki..."
( t.a. noonan ) said…
(Argh, I've lost this reply four times! Luckily, I have Firefox and a quick Ctrl-C reflex.)

Audition made me squirm, too, though I didn't find the beginning part boring at all. Guess I'm weird like that.

I don't know much about butoh; my knowledge of Japanese avant-garde is almost entirely limited to Shuji Terayama (by way of his protégé, J.A. Seazer). But I find this fascinating, particularly when I consider how it rose out of a rejection of noh. Butoh seems to direct one's gaze to the form of the body moving in darkness--rather than the mask/face being lit in noh. At least, that's what I can gather from my basic knowledge of both forms, as well as the picture you posted in your last entry.

As for Dir En Grey, I'm not convinced of the connection. I can see the influence, though some of the video imagery doesn't strike me as particularly odd. I had a friend who was a big heavy metal and progressive rock fan, and I seem to recall similar theatrics in the videos he showed me. Then again, one could argue that such theatrics could be Terayama's doing, who was fairly influential in Europe--as I recall.

Bah, I'll never pack at this rate.
François Luong said…
i guess the slowness of the first part kinda intensifies the brutality of the torture scene, since there is very little to prepare you for it (not even the creepy grandfather scene).

t.a.,

about dir en grey, i am making huge leaps to make those connections. for all that matter, the band itself may not have even heard of butoh (but the director?). and some of their videos definitively don't have this butoh vibe.
John Sakkis said…
well, not so much that it was "boring" but that it was filmed/ came off like a soap opera...and i'm not convinced that Miike intended it that way...almost B-Film quality...which in my book is boo...
( t.a. noonan ) said…
François: No, I understand there's some leaping going on. Maybe I should have been clearer on that. Still, I think it's a neat connection--one I wouldn't have thought of before you mentioned it.

John: I think it's only half intentional. That is, I think he meant it to be kinda soap-like, but he didn't intend for it to be "cheesy."
François Luong said…
the short story audition is adapted from (by Murakami Ryu), also has that slow soap-like pacing, unlike his novel into the miso soup, where you get all the brutal stuff first and then this weird buddy narrative between a serial killer and his sex tour guide. i am not sure if i like the story or the movie better.

Popular Posts