Reading Anne-Marie Albiach's Figurations de l'image, I wonder why American readers of poetry abhor didacticism. This is one of the frequent accusations leveled against Language Poetry for example. C.K. Williams also called contemporary French poetry "didactic" when asked why he didn't like it during a radio interview (I don't have the link, but the file is stored somewhere on this computer).

Albiach has those lines I really adore due to my relative acquaintance with continental philosophy:
l'immobilité s'astreint
elle déjoue l'altérité et le regard de l'autre
se joint à cette élaboration

immobility is compelled
she thwarts alterity and the gaze of the other
joins this development

Superficial reference to Levinas, sure, and I like the ambiguous syntax created by the line break (or is it a misreading on my part, to see a line break when the line actually continues). But what interests me most here is to see the poem used as philosophical dissertation. Too often in American poetry, I see the poem used as narrative (either fictional or nonfictional, but who cares?), but not much anything else you can do with writing. (well, Claudia Rankine's Don't Let Me Be Lonely is a poem as a lot of things, but a lot of people with whom I have discussed this book had no clue what she was doing and were wondering if this should be treated as a poem or something else)

Comments

John Sakkis said…
who accusses the language poets of being didactic, that's news to me.

on the other hand, SoQ is often accussed of being didactic...and i would say yes to that.
Unknown said…
SoQ poets accused Language Poets of being didactic in their poems. It's a critique I've often heard at UHouston. And here and there. But yeah, SoQ poets tend to be paternalistic in their behavior.
John Sakkis said…
really? hadn't heard that. any poets in particular from the SOQ?

i was under the impression that most of the accusations (whatever they may have been) thrown at the langpo were made by other "experimental" poets of the time...e.g. poetry flash "language wars", levi-strauss/ hollander's ACTS, new college of california vs. etc...
François Luong said…
Well, there's CK Williams, of course. I've also heard Tony Hoagland calling LangPoets "didactic." Hum ... Who else? I can't really remember. Those are the two that came to my mind.

Of course, when a SoQ poet calls anything "didactic," it just means "inquiring," "intellectual" or "else."
François Luong said…
Oh, and I think I heard Adam Zagajewski call LangPo something along those lines, in a Q&A with Paul Muldoon.
John Sakkis said…
oh okay, we had our timeframes mixed up...you're talking now i'm talking then.

Popular Posts