The ceremony for the Griffin Poetry Prize is tonight (in Toronto). Crossing my fingers for Michael Palmer's In Company of Moths in the International category, although I kinda dig what I am reading of Dunya Mikhail. (although the cover is ... well, the cover is what it is, strictly utilitarian and bland. I don't think I ever liked a cover from New Directions, except for Mishima's Confessions of a Mask, which was not extraordinary either)

The Canadian shortlist is a little bit trickier. I like Erin Moure (I didn't know she was Canadian) and I really dig whatever I've read by Sylvia Legris.

Why do Canadians get more interesting lit prizes than Americans?

Comments

Jessica Smith said…
because Canadians are more interesting poets?
François Luong said…
yes, that they are. now, if more canadian poets, beyond anne carson and margaret atwood, could be published on this side of the border ... maybe i should simply move to canada :)

Popular Posts