France 3-1 Spain

Now, this, friends, is what I call football. Two excellent and cohesive teams with brilliant players. Had France lost to Spain, I would not have minded so much ... Okay, no, not really. I don't know how I would have reacted. But this was a fast-paced game, with a good distribution of the ball, beautiful steals, many shots on the goal magnificently saved by both goalkeepers (I have regained my faith in Fabien Barthez), Ribery dribbling through defenders near the edges of the field while keeping the ball in (I also have a renewed faith in Ribery). And then that goal by Zinedine Zidane at the 92nd minute that shouted "I might be old, I might be retiring, but I am still the best player in the world."

Because let's face it. Zinedine Zidane was always the star player of Real Madrid. Not Ronaldo, not Luis Figo and certainly never David Beckham. Zinedine Zidane. That last game in the Spanish league, it was Zidane the Madrilenes were cheering for. Sure, Ronaldo has scored more World Cup goals, but well, you can't say much when you're scoring them against Japan and Ghana.

So yeah, France is playing Brazil on Saturday. I hear many people saying that France will receive a beating. But have you seen Brazil against Ghana? Sure, they scored three goals, but the Ghanaeans were playing like crap during the first half and only woke up after the second goal. And the Brazilians were uninspired, unambitious and particularly selfish. Watch Ronaldinho bitch about not being able to score (and contrast that with Zidane joking with the linesmen about being barely offside). The thing about Brazil is that they have extremely talented players, but those players can't play as a team. That's why France beat them in 1998. And Germany lost in 2002 because they were playing like crap.

Quarterfinals Picks
Friday
Germany-Argentina: As much as I like Argentina, Germany is really scary this World Cup. They're probably playing their best game since, well, Klinsmann was a player instead of manager.

Italy-Ukraine: Italy, no questions asked. Italy is basically the best of AC-Milan and Juventus.

Saturday
England-Portugal: The Portuguese are mean, competent and fast. England has a crybaby (Rooney), two midfielders who can't play together (Gerrard and Lampert) and let's not even mention David Beckham. Okay, I'll give them Joe Cole and John Terry too.

Brazil-France: See post above.

Comments

Jessica Smith said…
Ok, now i'm for france. that guy is HOT.
François Luong said…
I think you will find Zizou a suitable replacement for Ljungberg for the rest of the tournament. He too was an underwear model. And a perfume model. I saw him a couple of years ago when he underwent knee surgery in Strasbourg. He's even more impressive in person than on television.
gina said…
I have to admit that I was pulling for Spain but it was one of those games where I ultimately didn't care which team went on because I could get behind both. My boss, on the otherhand, was pissed that France won and called Henry "a wanker."
Ekrem Serdar said…
Completely agree. With everything. Hell, I might be a clone.
Ekrem Serdar said…
On another note, you might know that there is an interesting doc./movie on Zidane that's been doing the Festival circuit. 16 (I think) cameras followed his every move for one game, and they made that into the doc. You apparently see every sweat, kick, curse, everything. It's supposed to be incredible.
François Luong said…
Gina: I called Luis Aragones a "wanker" too. But from your boss's use of the word, I can say that your boss hates FC Arsenal and roots for Tottenham Hotspur.

Ekrem: Oh! I want to see that doc!
gina said…
My boss is a bog Chelsea fan. We actually make Arsenal products, which is kind of funny seeing a lot of people I work with were happy to see them lose the premiership championship...

Popular Posts