The worthy Effing Press needs money.
"The effing coffers are getting low and we'd really like to print some more books before the end of summer so I am offering a discount of effing stuffs to anyone interested. Any 3 effing books in print plus a handful of b-sides, postcards, and bookmarks for a mere $12 (shipping included)."
Meanwhile, a massive heatwave seems to have engulfed the world. Comic book writer Warren Ellis reports:
"This heat is officially fucking stupid. According to forecasts, Britain will now be racked by friendly storms to break the heat. Except my area, which has a 100% probability of official heatwave-alert conditions. It's getting impossible to work. Jock [N.F: The illustrator of The Losers] said yesterday that his arm is sticking to his artboard. Me, I just can't hold a thought, and my fingers slip off the keyboard. I'm behind by about a week, and it looks like it's going to get worse."
Houston is surprisingly tolerable (weather-wise) for this time of the year. It's typically 110 degrees this time of the year (with a heat index of 140 degrees) and instead, it is raining and about 85 degrees.

Jessica discusses briefly string theory at looktouch. I remember seeing on PBS a couple of days ago the film adaptation of Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe, hosted by Mr. Brian Greene himself. Now, I had to read BG's book (as well as his other volume The Mind of God) for a philosophy class (Science & Religion).

I think every poet should read TEU, just for the simple fact that it's an intelligent book that treats its reader as an intelligent being (yes, Greene writes for the lay people) and that details every trend of quantum physics. But one section that struck me most was what one of the "sub-particulist" (someone, I seem to recall, who taught at Brown) said, namely that you had quantum physics and then you had string theory. String theory, he asserted, is not really science. You can't conduct observe them, nor conduct experiments to determine their existence (yes, cue in, Bergson and Husserl on the phenomenology of science, and Heidegger on ontology).

Greene then brilliantly (I think Greene did it) explains that neither superstrings nor elementary particules have substance (being obviously much smaller than protons and neutrons and electrons) and have no color (can't be observed through electromagnetic means, as they are much "smaller" than photons; as a note, the eye is a spectrometer, a means to observe certain electromagnetic phenomena within a certain spectrum). Therefore, the way string theorists and other quantum physicists describe the observed phenomena is purely metaphorical. All they are arguing is really which theory is the best metaphor for phenomena we have an inkling about (let's face it, no quantum physicist has ever observed a boson, just the trace of one).

Reminds me about all the bickering about the merits of Langpo and flarf. (yes, I recently had to defend the merits of experimental and avant-garde poetry to a local confessional poets. I am tired of beating on dead horses)

Comments

Jessica Smith said…
ok ok... i'll find a copy of TEU.

please don't beat dead horses, poor things--
François Luong said…
I'll stop beating on dead horses once people stop busting my balls by telling me that non-SoQ poetry is not legitimate.
Amish Trivedi said…
Re: Zidane

If it's nothing racial, what could have been so bad?

Also, suspending Zidane is like clearing the name of the Black Sox now in 2006. Geniuses at work!
François Luong said…
Hey Amish,

I don't think we'll ever know. But let's face it. If we were to 120+ minutes of a very physical game with very high stakes, we'd have a short fuse too.

As for Zidane's suspension, it's merely symbolic. And what's with the Black Sox? I don't really follow baseball. I just know they beat the Astros during the World Series.

Popular Posts